Tuesday, June 2, 2020
Has there ever been a better time to get healthy and slim down?
Dietitian Bridgett Wilder of Perseverance Health and Wellness Coaching in Milwaukee recommends these 10 foods to help unload excess lockdown weight, boost the immune system and give your body what it truly needs.
1. Dry beans, including red kidney, pinto and great northern. They are versatile, economical and high in fiber to keep you fuller longer.
2. Avocado and olive oils. These are healthy fats, according to Wilder. “Avocado oil may aid in lowering blood pressure in combination with maintaining a healthy-balanced diet,” Wilder said.
3. Low-carb wraps for burritos or eggs. Wilder likes the brand Egglife made with eggs, not flour, at 30 calories with less than 1 carbohydrate and 5 grams of protein per wrap.
4. Colorful fresh vegetables such as eggplant, spinach, sugar snap peas and bell peppers. Wilder uses vegetable slices such as cucumbers instead of nacho chips for salsa and guacamole. She is also a big fan of Brussels sprouts.
5. Low-calorie soups such as broccoli lemon arugula by Skinny Souping to be eaten hot or chilled.
6. Spiralized zucchini, “it’s a great replacement for spaghetti,” Wilder explained. These can be made at home with a spiralizer or bought already prepped. Wilder likes Fresh Thyme’s Fresh Cut Veggies Zucchini Noodles.
7. Seasonal fruit. Find strawberries, blueberries and peaches at farmers markets, U-pick farms and truck sales this summer.
8. Handy pre-packaged, plant-based meat substitutes. Wilder recommends Lightlife Smart Ground Mexican Crumbles, to be browned and used like ground meat, or Uncut brand breakfast sausage that is high in protein.
9. Low-calorie juices to help with snack attacks between meals. Wilder likes Natalie’s Replenish green juice with cucumber, celery, apple and lime juice. Be careful with juice drinks as many are full of sugar and calories.
10. Plain old water. Keep in mind, water is always a good beverage to help control appetite.